Which one is better against cavities: composite fillings or dental amalgams? The truth is both services are designed for maximum effectiveness against cavities, and each one has its distinct advantages in that battle. Depending on the size of the cavity or your personal preference for aesthetics, you dentist can advise you on which filling may be right for you.
Here are just a few of the many perks to consider with each:
Advantages of composites:
– Composite fillings can be customized to match the color of a tooth.
– Some cavities are too small to be effectively fixed with amalgams. Composites can go closer and deeper to fill these cavities.
– If a composite filling needs to be repaired, the original filling does not need to be removed.
– Composite fillings contain no mercury, which some individuals may be allergic to.
– Composite fillings are extremely durable and can prevent tooth fracture.
Advantages of amalgams:
– Dental amalgams have been shown to be more effective and last longer in larger cavities compared to composite fillings.
– Dental amalgams take far less time to place in the dentist’s office.
– Dental amalgams have been around for over 150 years in America with a proven record of long-term success and quality.
Sterling Dental wants to make your dental fillings as successful and timely as we can. You are welcome to schedule a visit to our office in Sarasota, Florida. For more information about which service suits you best, please book an oral exam with Dr. Gregory J. Brandau by calling our office at 941-926-9888. We look forward to fighting cavities for you!